Whoa! You would think I wouldn’t have to do a blog on this, but here we are. Nothing grinds my gears more than a person who is completely ignorant of how to act in public - particularly in the gym. Here’s a quick guide on how to not be “that” guy or girl...
1. RE-RACK YOUR WEIGHTS! I’m not kidding. If you take it, you best put it back on the rack! There is literally no excuse for not putting your weights back. By leaving your weights on the smith machine, the floor, or any other piece of equipment, you are assuming A LOT about the next person who comes along to use it. The next person may not be able to lift the weight that you used or have time to reset your carelessness in the middle of their workout. Don’t be ignorant - always re-rack your weights!
2. WIPE DOWN YOUR EQUIPMENT! Aw, man! I watched some super sweaty gym bro hop around the cardio machines this morning at my local gym and this dude did not wipe one darn machine off after he was finished. Talk about gross. I’ve worked out in gyms all over the country, and I have yet to come across one that did not have cleaning materials readily available and easily accessible. I almost handed the dude a wipey this morning while he was on the stairclimber post elliptical and treadmill as a casual reminder that it’s cool to not be gross. It’s totally unhygienic - be a decent human and wipe down all equipment when you are finished with it - benches, cardio, ALL OF IT!
3. THE GYM IS COMMUNAL SPACE, NOT YOUR PERSONAL PLAYGROUND! Fitfam, you cannot take up the whole gym with your own personal obstacle/American Ninja Warrior course. Especially at peak gym hours (early morning and after work), you need to be conscious of other people who are there with the same right to use the equipment and gym space as you. Do not ask people using a bench or a machine to move because it’s your favorite one and you can’t workout without it. Do not hoard weights unless you are switching between two sets, or are using them imminently, Do not hog machines if you are doing an expansive circuit. Conversely, do not take weights or a machine from someone who is using them WITHOUT ASKING them if they are finished. More on this next...
4. WORK IN WITH OTHERS BUT ALWAYS ASK! When the gym is crowded and everyone is trying to get it in, work in! But - always ask, and ALWAYS wipe it down for the other person!
5. DO NOT STARE! You look like a creeper when you stare at other people in the gym. Just don’t do it.
6. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR MUSIC (OR SINGING/WHISTLING)! God invented earbuds for a reason. Feel free to plug in your buds or connect your AirPods, but for the love of all things fitness, do not assume anyone else wants to hear your music played through your crappy phone speakers. That also goes for singing, whistling, bird calling, super loud and prolonged grunts, and other ridiculously unnecessary and distracting noises.
7. DO NOT TAKE UP SPACE NOT WORKING OUT! Okay, so everyone rests between sets, but some people take this to the extreme and just sit on their phone for ten minutes at a time while other people are waiting to use things. Others carry on full on phone conversations (and weirdly - the ones I’ve always had the “privilege” of being privy to are usually super personal in nature). And still others sit on equipment they aren’t even using just because. Have awareness and use the gym to work out, not to break up with your girlfriend on the phone or call your doctor to discuss your super personal rash, or whatever...
Noticeably missing from this list? Taking selfies or videoing your workouts. Feel free to document the crap out of your progress. If it makes you feel good and you aren’t bothering anybody else, flex on ‘em.
Did I miss anything? Weigh in below!